☆☆☆ "Appropriate & subvert the patriarchal semiotic hegemony of the hetero-normative dyad!" ☆☆☆

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Stereo-Typically Patriarchal

We Google "trans-gender forum" frequently -- surf the social context online, pick up the thread of narrative. What I see is a lot of drag-queens and cross-dressers. I'm not seeing a lot of non-binary questioning of gender role stereotypes.

Let me suggest that, like "sex / gender" there is a bifurcation in "feminine / female" -- feminine being often equated with "femme," "sissy," "girlie," etc. These are terms, like "chick," "dame," "broad" that objectify women. Some women may use these terms for one reason or another, but by and large these are terms of derision, and affrontery in the view of radical feminists. Moreover, radical feminists assert that these terms are a product of the patriarchal hegemony. Logically then, we might infer that cis-M crossing to present "femme" is a performative act which subsumes a patriarchal stereotype and presents it as a objectified gender identity.

And so . . . I'll cop to it first.

I'm 67, more or less. I wish I could look like this:

image

In reality this is what a woman more or less my age looks like:

image


image

image
I use these examples because they're public, not an endorsement of Hillary, or Carly.

And so the end product for me in all this is the realization that the "female" in my presentation ideal is an objectification (fetish), and not very realistic. More and more I'm progressing in a transition (No HRT, No surgery) that more fully considers and integrates a less stereotypically sexist, patriarchal objectification about what a woman my age looks like. Moreover, since I'm not a physiological woman, I aspire to ID as a radical-feminist, and to eschew the semiotic oppression of what the patriarchy envisions as "femininity."

Julia Serano, in my blog links to the right, considers the rejection of trans-women by radical feminists precisely on account of the parameters I lay out here. One radical trans-woman opted for no surgery, no hrt, and even decided to present with facial hair.

The upshot in all this for me is that my "presentaion" or "performatives" are becoming more holistic, integrated, and less stereotypically patriarchal.

 
Alias WunderDirt is Allison --
Allison Wunderland's Transcend Dance -- AllisonTranscend.blogspot.com

"Any girl can wear heels. It takes a REAL woman to wear combat boots."

No comments:

Post a Comment